• 0:55

  • 3:08

  • 2:40

  • 1:54

2015 UPDATE: November 12, 2015

They say the most striking news hits suddenly in the middle of an otherwise ordinary day. That is 
just how this important addendum began. On Friday, March 20, 2015, at 4:58 p.m., I received an email from a reader that alerted me to a short notice she had run across in a recent edition of the Mansfield News Journal:

The Richland County Coroner’s Office is requesting the public’s help in finding next of kin for 
Marsha Godin, 51, who died Feb. 10 at Ohio Health Med Central Shelby Hospital. Godin died of natural causes, according to the coroner’s office. Anyone with information is asked to call [phone number] so Godin may have a proper burial.

And there it was staring at me—a new mystery of sorts. Could this be, in fact, the Marcia Goodin 
who played a central role in The Worlds Most Haunted House? There are many Godins and her first name was officially Marcia, not Marsha. Her last name was Goodin, not Godin. Godin was, however, the proper family name. Jerry, Marcie’s father, left the mistake on his birth certificate and the name carried on to Marcia.

I anxiously dialed the number and offered my story. The man who answered wasn’t handling that case, so he took my information and promised he would have the proper person—Bob—call me back. He did. Bob was appreciative that I had taken time to contact him. I provided several pieces of information: her prior name, her date of birth, ancestry, and the belief that she was in Canada. After I divulged those facts, he said we were definitely considering the same person.

He confided in me that “Instantly, I had a very eerie feeling when I walked into her hospital room. And it wasn’t that she was dead. Heck, I have seen so many unusual deaths so it had nothing to do with that. I even commented to the nurse about it.”

The story unfolded in the following way: About six years before, Marcie came back to the United 
States from Ontario, Canada—alone—settling in Shelby, Ohio. (She previously lived in Tiffon Ohio from 1998-2002.) There, she lived with a man who was much older than she. When interviewed by the authorities, he disclosed he didn’t know much about her. He explained that he met her in a diner and helped her out because there was a lot that she could not do for herself. He needed a place to stay and ended up moving in with her. It appeared their relationship was a friendship. Presently, he won’t speak to the coroner. Bob thinks it is because he is afraid he will have to pay.

The man was in a nursing home when Marcie died. Bob said they found a letter from her brother from Canada in with her personal belongings and he would try to retrieve it for me. A stepmother was mentioned, but I told him I had no information about that. Canada wouldn’t release any of her records or information to him. (Their policy of not releasing records is what kept me from finding her when I did my initial research.)

Bob related to me that her hospital records noted she suffered from remitting and relapsing MS and epilepsy and has had seizures since 1993. She had four to five seizures that would result in her “spacing out.” There appears to be a correlation in poltergeist cases with epilepsy in particular, but the sample size is naturally small, so we cannot say it is a correlation with causation as opposed to just a coincidence. Evidence, however, does start to point to that as being a factor in the amount of cases that we obtain information on at least.

Bob related to me that she had MS and had been on some heavy narcotics for pain management. He felt her death might have been related to that. The neighbors were unaware Marcie lived there because she kept to herself and was never seen coming or going.

Bob’s dilemma was that he could not find any next of kin to sign off on the paperwork so she could be given a proper burial. Furthermore, he couldn’t issue a death certificate in Ohio without 
knowing the names of her parents. I provided him with a copy of the book and the information he needed on Jerry and Laura and explained the couple had adopted her.

Since I knew several members of the Godin family, I was able to get in touch with one who was willing to sign the proper documents so Marcie could be given a proper burial. It turns out the letter from her brother was not available or kept and therefore we do not have access to that information. But the story is not over yet.

On July 10, 2015, I received a message sent from my website from Marcie’s biological sister from Canada! We spoke by phone and I learned the following addition information about the family:

  • Her half-sisters called her ‘Jean,’ not Marcia. The siblings only met once but Marcie saw her half-sister in Ohio more often (but not regularly). I did interview that half sister and Lindley Street was never mentioned but Marcie said that Laura was very mean to her. At one point, Laura took all of her possessions and destroyed them (Actually, some were given away as detailed in the book). Her comment was "They were too old to have children." She never said a bad word about Jerry.

  • Marcie was described as normal, quiet, very nice, and a lover of animals (especially dogs and Rottweilers in particular). She never married but had several long term relationships. She was a cheerleader and played softball in high school. She did graduate college, focusing on technical writing and earlier, computer engineering. She never lived in Canada. She was in the states her whole life. Marcie was Jewish.

  • ​She confided in the sisters that when she was a teenager, she was sexually abused by her uncle.

  • Marcie hid from people in her past by using different emails and changing her name enough to remain difficult to locate. You won't be surprised to know she hated the media.

  • She worked in retail most of her life. Overall, the sense I got was that she didn’t have a horrible adulthood until the sickness became very debilitating in the last five or six years of her life.

  • Both Marcia and her biological mother died at the age of 51.

  • The biological sisters found out about both of their deaths on the same day, July 7th.

  • Marcia was one of six biological children from the same mother, all girls and one boy.

  • The brother died before any of them were able to meet him. No one knew their father.

  • Marcie was not the only child given up for adoption. Three of the children were, since they were all the result of teenage pregnancies from different fathers.

At the same time, I received an inquiry from the daughter of Robert Roberts, brother of Laura Goodin! Her father is still alive but is not fond of his sisters and has not spoken to them for many years. She wrote me and relayed that her dad lost contact with his sister and niece when they moved out of state. She did visit Laura Goodin (her aunt) at the house when she was about five years old; before the Goodins had adopted Marcia.

They received news that Laura Goodin died in a car crash from family living in Connecticut but had no news about Marcie. She thought the accident was strange because it was a nice sunny day so she is not sure what happened. (Marcie told her half-sister that Jerry was the driver in that accident.)

I returned the conversation back to probe about why her dad didn’t like Laura. He said Laura fought all the time with her mother and was not a nice person. Robert was quite surprised to learn she was religious at all! And the last comment that solidified so many of the rumors for me
was when I told them of the rumor that Laura was said to have locked her mother in the bathroom and they would go out. The words I heard next sent a shiver through me, “That doesn’t surprise me. That sounds like Laura.”

Her biological half-sisters learned of the book and I spoke to two of them. Marcie's ashes were sent to them and they got together as a family to bury her ashes on a piece of land where her grandfather had a home - close to where Marcie's biological mother is buried. Her sister told me that "It's a real peaceful place."

Although the revelation provides some closure, there is an element of the sadness that characterized her life, that seemed to follow her to her grave. None of the after-stories associated with Lindley Street seem to have been anything but sad, if not tragic. They still resonate in our hearts and minds as we remember, the Roswell of Haunted Houses, known to the world as “Lindley Street” or “The Bridgeport Poltergeist.”

                                        PHOTOS OF MARCIE AS AN ADULT, ALONG WITH SOME OF HER ARTWORK!

Author's note: Do not read into the artwork as being a result of LIndley Street. Marcie explains the pieces and they are not realted to that or accurately understood in that limited context.

For personal enjoyment use only. Exclusive rights to all use of audio by William J Hall.